Emerald Lake
Lake Use Rules
Docks, Irrigation Pumps, etc.
Dam Operation
Dam Maintenance
Landscaping Guide
Aquatic Weed Control
Canada Geese
Building Guidelines & Forms
New Residents
Available Lots


Chewacla Creek Inlet, July 2006

Chewacla Creek Inlet, June 2010

Sediment accumulation is the biggest problem facing lake managers today.  Poor land use practices, rapid development, and lax erosion and stormwater control measures have resulted in excessive quantities of sediment entering our waterways in recent years.  Evidence of this widespread problem can be readily observed in Emerald Lake. In addition to filling in the lake and slowly choking off boating access, sediment smothers oxygenating plants and fish spawning areas, and contains a variety of pollutants that degrade water quality, fuel nuisance algae blooms, and can even cause fish kills. Sediment endangers Emerald Lake’s aesthetic and recreational values and is cause for every Foxchase property owner’s concern.

All Foxchase residents should act as good stewards and take steps to keep sediment from discharging into our lake.   Here are a few ways you can do your part to help:

»Install silt fences and hay bales around disturbed areas of soil until the area is adequately vegetated or hardscaped.

»Don’t allow mud and sediment to discharge into storm drains, drainage ways, or the lake.

»Grade lots to create gentle contours, and/or use groundcover, retaining walls, rock or other means to prevent erosion of unstable soil.

»Construct dry creek beds and rain gardens along natural drainage pathways.

»Maintain a natural vegetative buffer along the water’s edge instead of cutting lawns all the way to the shoreline.  Marginal wetlands plants provide a host of benefits, including trapping sediment and pollutants before they enter the lake.

»Act as a community watchdog by tracking down sources of sediment, notifying the property owner, and reporting sedimentation control violations to the appropriate authorities.  Violations occurring on property within the Foxchase subdivision can be reported by submitting a form to the DRB (see Building Guidelines & Forms/Covenant Violation Form). 


AL Cooperative Extension Caring-for-Our-Lakes.pdf

FDEP Waterfront Property Owners Guide.pdf